If you’re thinking of adding a new bathroom to your property, or perhaps considering upgrading an existing bathroom you may consider choosing a wet room (or a shower room) over a more traditional bathroom.
But why would you choose a wet room over a standard bathroom?
Advantages of a wet room
A wet room can have many advantages over a traditional bathroom. Ultimately, the choice is yours, but as a wet room specialist here are some benefits to consider!
A Wet Room Can Cost Less Than a Bathroom
Bathrooms can be expensive! In a recent report by Homebuilding and Renovating they have stated that a bathroom renovation could set you back from £3000 for a basic remodel. Choosing top of the range equipment can easily push that figure up, and if you want the best of the best, then a five figure remodel is suddenly a possibility. When it comes to refitting a bathroom or adding a second bathroom, there are plenty of things to consider:
- As a good rule of thumb, you need to look at the cost of a complete bathroom suite – i.e. bathroom, basin and pedestal, toilet and perhaps a bidet. A modern, contemporary design can be expensive.
- Factor in the cost of a new shower and enclosure if you want an enclosed shower within the bath unit, or the separate cost of a shower tray and enclosure for a standalone.
- Most bathroom equipment doesn’t come with taps, which need to be purchased separately.
- Plumbing costs – especially if you are changing the footprint of your bathroom, these will incur additional costs.
- Panelling and tiles.
- Timber and re-plastering.
Whereas on average the cost of a wet room is around £3000 – £5000 depending on what you need:
- Our wetroom kits start from as little as £235 with a paint-on tanking kit. Even our most expensive wet room kit (a Marlin floor former with 10m Orca tanking kit) will only set you back £651 for the very largest size.
- A good quality shower from Simply Wetrooms start from as little as £105 (for our Bright Shower Option 4).
- Want a toilet and basin? The Tribute 4 piece bathroom suite is our entry level suite costing £225.
- Choose some taps – our Gemini taps are great value at £22!
- Choose a shower screen from as little as £107.
- You’ll then need tiles, adhesive, grout and spacers to complete your bathroom (which could set you back in the region of around £500+)
Marlin Floor Former with Defence Paint-On Tanking Wet Room Kit£322.90 – £447.77 inc. VAT
Bright Shower Option 4Product on sale
Gemini Basin TapsProduct on sale
Tribute 4 Piece Bathroom SuiteProduct on sale
View 300mm Flipper PanelProduct on sale
Then choose a good wet room / bathroom installer and, all in, you’re probably looking at prices starting from around the £3000 mark. But the upper limit is a lot lower, as once you’ve purchase your floor former and tanking kit (the main requirements for a wet room), the choose of equipment is then down to the design you want for your bathroom!
Easier management and cleaning
One big advantage of a wet room is the ease of management. They are far quicker and simpler to wash down and therefore a lot easier to manage. No longer are there complicated shower enclosures and bath panels to keep clean – which are also hotspots for mold buildup.
Get wall hanging basin and toilets, and you’ve also no obstructions on the floor.
Longevity and durability
A wet room is meant to last. With no real “parts” that a bath has, it’s less likely they will damage. And with our floor formers (such as the Rhino or Marlin) which come with lifetime guarantees, you can be assured that they will take whatever you throw at them!
Wet rooms and shower rooms are also a massive advantage when you have less abled or disabled family or users. With no bath sides or shower tray “lips”, they offer a completely flat surface which is ideal for wheelchair usage and people with limited mobility.
Wet rooms are built to be naturally slip resistant. With no plastic bases, and with the appropriate flooring made to be safe, they’re ideal for the less abled as well as children.
That WOW Factor!
A wet room, being a modern style bathroom design, really does add that WOW factor to your bathroom! They tend to be aesthetically pleasing with their flowing and consistent lines. They really do open up the room, and with the right minimalist equipment, they really are the very best in simplicity and design brilliance.
Want to find out more?
If you’re thinking about creating a wet room but don’t know where to start, or if you’ve got questions which you need advice on, we’re here to help. Simply give us a call on 0845 139 0385 or visit our contact us page to send us a message. We love helping customers find their perfect wet room!